Monday, August 10, 2009

A lengthy ramble on the weekend's events among other things

Hey all. It's Monday morning on the 10th of August. I'm writing this at the high school. I hooked up my computer and needed to check out all the systems and take it out for a drive to blow the cobwebs out of it and what better way to do that than to make a new post on the ole' blog.

Jack came up here with me on Saturday to do a little initial organizing of the room. He is a big help. I'd promised him a McDonald's Happy Meal, but when we turned the bike and trailer onto the bike path I got a flat tire (ugh!) I'm having fits with flat tires on my bikes, let me tell you, but I just ordered some high dollar tires off the internet last night and they should take care of that problem when I get them. Anyway, we ate a Happy Meal at Dairy Queen instead and we had just as much fun. Marian came and picked us up and she and Leo joined us for lunch.

Speaking of bikes, I was stopped at a lighted intersection in downtown Ottawa by a grizzled looking cyclist fully loaded down with saddlebags in back and in front who said he was pedaling from Portland, Oregon to Portland, Maine. He was on his way to a local state park to camp for the night. Someday, I'd like to do something like that.

I've got a new room at the high school. It's not as big as my former room., it does not have any student computers, and it's regarded as the black sheep of all the English classrooms; but, I love it because it has two big wall height windows looking into a courtyard of sorts. I plan to get that courtyard looking good and hopefully be able to utilize some student labor to do so while learning English related content in the process.

After hearing a couple of stories about newborns being born with severe complications and disabilities, Marian and I took a few moments to thank God for healthy children. When I hear some parents complaining about their child's hair color or eye color or height, weight etc. I remember those parents who are not able to hold their children for however long, because they are in an incubator or must be rushed off immediately for surgery. We are truly blessed to have healthy children. God provides all we have. None of it is from my own hands.

Well, I've been sidetracked by blogging this morning and in the meantime, boxes need opened and the rest of the room needs organizing. I suppose I should walk down the halls and see if any of my teaching buds are here too. Most of them will wait until the last possible opportunity to arrive back at the school. Me, I'll probably be here all week and wait to get anything done until the last possible moment. It's going to be the best school year so far. Let's get it on!

2 comments:

  1. Well brother I love your positive attitude and am grateful for a teacher that loves his job and is anxious for the kids to come. My prayer every year is that the teachers that the kids get just want to be there and that they like my kids! I know they are supposed to learn something, but just giving them positive feed back and the attitude that they are important to them and they like them means more to me. So keep up the good work!
    We had a great time in Colorado. The whole time I was there I was wishing you guys were there to let the kids play and enjoy the nice conditions. I saw a couple of bears the 1st morning at our cabin. Also saw one when we were on the train ride too. It was really cool. I still remember the vacation we took to CO when we were in high school and you were prob in jr high. Good memories.
    I sent my 2 girls off this morning for their first day of school. Macy was soooooo excited. She got to go to Byng this year. She thinks "she's all that". And I do too! haha. Kali wasn't as excited to go, I think she has to work hard at keeping all her friends liking her, she thinks. She is a sweet girl, just not as confident as Macy. They will both do great. Tuker came to work with me today again for he next 9 months. We have had a great summer and will have a great school year as well.

    Love ya,
    Clarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is a good one, mostly because they have a good mom and dad. Kali just needs to believe she's all that and the friends thing will take care of itself. Friends are overrated anyway! I'm glad you feel that way about teachers. Sometimes the only way I feel successful is knowing they are being taken seriously and I'm their advocate. Even if they don't learn all the Eng. stuff I want them to, I feel like they have the opportunity to learn much more than just the content area.

    ReplyDelete