Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I stayed pretty well busy this weekend, which is both good and bad news for Mare. The good news being that I wasn't there getting in her hair and adding to the mess and getting the boys into trouble. The bad news was that I wasn't there to give her a break from the boys and she had to field all their problems on her own.

Friday night I did my two speaking roles in the high school's musical production of  Little Shop of Horrors. Talk about a great musical, this one is it. There are so many good songs in it. That gal in the movie version who plays Audrey opposite Rick Moranis as Seymour gets me all choked up with their duet of "Suddenly Seymour". I left when my roles were over and went home to watch The Hurt Locker with Mare. It was pretty good. It didn't have much  memorable dialogue. I think it tried to have some memorable dialogue, but I don't remember any of it.

As far as war movies go, I know Hollywood succeeds in glamorizing war, even among their attempts at making it look terrible. I've never been to war. I'm glad for it. I've read some accounts of people who have and who have had time to think about some of the things they were commanded to do. Our armed forces are full of people. People are flawed. Innocent people get hurt and killed in war. Soldiers don't always limit their combative actions to other soldiers. Sometimes innocent people are recruited to get involved in war. Innocent children die in war and it's horrible to live with.

My old friend from high school, Matt Stange stopped by on Friday night right in the middle of the movie, along with his big brother Scott Barnhart. We were expecting him. Matt lives in Colorado now, out in Crested Butte. Scott had picked him up from the airport in K.C. and they'd attended the K.U. game in Lawrence before stopping by the house. Matt looks like he's from Colorado: he's got long hair and looks "rugged". Scott looked about the same and they're two birds of a feather. They didn't stay long, but we had a few laughs and then they went on.

I spent Saturday morning judging debate. Went home and ate lunch. Then, went to play practice for It's a Wonderful Life. Went home and ate supper. Then, went to perform my two speaking roles again in Lil' Shop, and stayed for the entire performance.

Sunday I had one more performance to give for the musical. I had fixed breakfast and had a good day with the family. I talked to my grandma Irene on the phone. It was a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment