Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What a weekend!

I've got a lot to cover, so hold on!

First of all, earlier last week, when I mentioned I'd have the Friday off from teaching, Mare grew excited and expressed to me how the boys and I would need to get out of the house and give her some peace for a couple days. So, I took her words to heart and let my mom know early on the boys and I would be going down to Humboldt to visit them for the afternoon.

That Thursday night I was at school until 7:30 or so for parent teacher conferences, and we all went to bed early so we could make the most of the day.

On Friday I got up as usual and made biscuits for the family. After we got everyone cleaned up and our teeth brushed, Jack, Leo, and I set out in the red family car. Our first stop was at The Palace where Jack and I got our hairs cut. In addition to the standard joke my dad and grandpa usually made when asked "Did you get your haircut?"; to which they (and now me, because I am, afterall, my father's son) I reply, "I got them all cut!"; as I said, in addition to that old standby I've added this one (which, as far as I know, I've created all by myself): when the barber got me in his chair and asked, "Okay, what do you want to do here?" meaning, direct me with what to do to style your hair; my new reply is "Well, just make it look exactly the same as this, only three months ago."

I thought it was clever.

It had been a number of months since I'd had a hair cut and as one student pointed out it was "looking kind of wavy." It reminded me of the cartoon character Captain Caveman, who could pull items from out of his body hair when the occasion presented itself. It was a real hair helmet. But, it's been tamed now.

We arrived in Humboldt just in time to go to lunch with mom and dad. Coincidence? I think not. I tried the pork chile dinner at Estralita's. It was shredded pork in chile sauce served with refried beans and refried rice, salad and hot flour tortillas. Well, it wasn't offensive, but it wasn't particularly savory either. It seemed to lack seasoning. It was filling.

Jack ate two full grown adult tacos and quite a bit of chips and melted cheese. Leo sat on dad's lap and ate some of his chicken enchiladas and chips and cheese. Estralitas was painted up nicely and festively. They had loud classic rock pumping out over the loud speakers. I don't know if it's good or bad, but that same painting of the seven arch bridge was on the wall.

From there, we retired to mom and dad's house for conversation, advice, coffee, and amusing anecdotes. Of course the boys were quite entertaining and the weather was pleasant.

We returned to Ottawa by supper time and cleaned the boys up and put them to bed and tried to get to bed at an early time.

Saturday morning we ate a hearty breakfast of oatmeal and toast and again got the boys ready for a big adventure. We packed up the bicycle trailer with necessary items and I fitted the Wee-Ride on the front of the bicycle and we headed out about 10:30 or so.We pedaled south of town to the Ottawa Municipal Airport and enjoyed an extended lunch picnic in an adjacent lawn. From there we pedaled on East to Rantoul, Kansas. There we had a big time playing with neighbor kids at the Rantoul City Park. That's where Jack saw his first three leg dog. That three legged dog fetched a stick like no other! We ate more of our snacks and left there for home. We took the Flint Hills Nature Trail home to Ottawa and arrived home just in time for supper again. I have a knack for arriving at meal time.
Click on these highlighted words to see a map of our route

On Sunday I got the boys around early again and I took them to church for the second Sunday in a row. I know, I know, what a dad, huh. Anyway we rode the bike again, because we just didn't quite get enough of it the day before. We attended the First Christian Church of Disciples of Christ. It's okay. I don't know if my "church search" is over. I'll probably try out some others.

Mare had a nice little outdoor fire prepared for us when we arrived home from church. We cooked our hotdogs out on the fire and laid on the tarp and blankets in the yard and listened to the first half of the Chiefs game. The weather was ideal. Then, we had a big, pleasant surprise when my grandma Irene came to visit! It was awesome for her to hop in her car and come visit. We had a great time talking out on the porch and since she's my dad's mom, we enjoyed an afternoon of conversation, advice, coffee, and amusing anecdotes. Just before she left we ate a slice of chocolate pudding pie. We were very glad she came to visit.

We scrubbed the boys and sent them to bed because I'd worn them out. Mare and I watched The Cove before we went to bed. It's a documentary about the slaughter of dolphins. It's pretty disturbing.

Anyway, long story short, I had a great weekend with my family and lovely weather doing what I love.

We're blessed, we pray blessings on you.

I know this was kind of terse and not that entertaining. Sorry. I'll try to take my time next time and make it much more entertaining for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment