Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A good birthday

I turned 35 yesterday. A milestone of sorts, though just an abstract milepost. It was a good day. Just before school started I received a phone call. Jack had called to say happy birthday and I love you. I liked that phone call.

I had walked to work yesterday just to make the day a little more memorable for me. So, after the 45 minute walk home in the 12 degree cold, trundling over snow and ice, it was a pleasant surprise to find the house all spotless (it's never "dirty", just takes an extra push to put the polish on it) fragrant candles burning, a couple of banners saying Happy birthday (one homemade decorated by Jack and Leo), a homemade heart shaped card with the outlines of Jack and Leo's hands, and a homemade chocolate on chocolate cake complete with candles waiting for me. After the cold, the warmth and inviting ambiance was welcome.

We were treated to dinner at Poncho's from Clarie (thanks, sis). Then, at home I opened some gifts and ate a slice of the cake. I talked to both my grandmas, mom and dad, and Clarie. I also talked to aunt Betty ( a really great aunt!)

It was the first day back to school from break and both students and teachers were a little confused as to what the heck we were all doing there and how to proceed. Of course, it all came back to us and we managed.

There is still a foot of snow on the ground here and forecasts call for 2-6 more inches today and tonight. I know what the students and teachers are all wishing for . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment