Friday, September 4, 2009

Happy holidays! 9/4/09

Happy holidays! That is, enjoy your labor day holiday and three day weekend. I hope everyone gets to enjoy a three day weekend. I know some of you out there don't get the privelege of a three day weekend, but I do and I'm very grateful for it. If you have to work over the weekend let me just say I respect and admire your work ethic. This world would not go 'round if everyone kept the same schedule as us spoiled teachers!

We had a big annual campout planned for the weekend, but with the forecast calling for rain and low temps., we decided against it because Jack and Leo both have snotty noses and coughs. Mare and I have camped in the rain before plenty and gotten along just fine, in fact enjoyed it. But, it's not fair for the little ones to be expected to wear rain gear the whole time or be stuck in the tent, so we'll break tradition and stay home. After all, we musn't be bound by tradition, now should we? Instead, I'll try to strike a few "honeydos" off the extensive list I've let accumulate.

I have successfully secured a role as Judge Andrews in the community theater's production of "To Kill a Mockingbird". It's to be shown in mid October. I hope all of you will consider coming up to watch it. I'll be shamelessly promoting it and equally shamefully asking you to buy tickets from me. It's not a big role, but not a small one either. I kind of like the authority I feel sitting in the judge's chair behind the bench. Overruled! or Sustained! Which is it? I don't know, but it feels good just to say it in a commanding voice.

Mare had her birthday on tuesday. We had a nice dinner date at El Mezcal for it. She fed Leo some rice cereal on that day. I think he's ready for some food containing more substance. He wakes up about three times a night to feed. I'm (we're ) ready for him to sleep a little longer through the night.

I've just got to brag a little here. I think I've been blessed with the best family and in-laws a guy can have. All of my relatives have played such an important role in making me who I am. (For that, you may take credit, or share the blame; depending on how you think I came out!) But, seriously, I love all my family: aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, of course parents and sister, and my in laws I've grown very fond of as well. When I see some of the horrible relationships some of my students have with their families, or when students don't have that stable home life, like I was blessed with, I'm doubly thankful for all of you. I'm very proud of every one of my relatives. You've overcome obstacles and adversity and have thrived in a world that tries to bring you down. Keep on fighting the good fight!

Try to do something for yourselves this weekend. It's okay. You deserve it. Stay healthy, avoid that swine flu, that mad cow disease, and beware of angry old goat syndrome too!

I'll leave you with this truly bad joke: A man went to a psychiatrist for help. He said, "Doctor can you help me? One night I dream I'm a wigwam. The next night I dream I'm a teepee. What's the matter with me?"
The doctor said, "I know what your problem is. You're two tents!"


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear your not going camping....but you're right no fun for the boys and for the parents of the boys. I bet you'll find something fun to do. We will be working on the house and Dusty is working Monday. He will be taking of his Monday holiday for Weds though. His dad is having a tumor removed in his colon. So you might keep Dusty's dad in your prayers next week. Kinda scary cause he's on that blood thinner mom is on and then they have to stop it and then start it quickly again. So just remember him. Nothing else exciting here. Tell Marian I didn't forget her birthday just bad at calling and sending. But I have something in mind for her. You guys have a great long weekend and kiss everyone for me! Love you

    ReplyDelete