Monday, September 14, 2009

A great weekend; now for a great week!

I don't have any pictures for the blog entry today. I hope everyone was well enough to get out and enjoy the great weather we had (at least it was great in Ottawa). The days are getting shorter and before too long I expect it'll begin to frost in the night. But, it's getting on to be my favorite time of year: autumn. I love the smells of fall, and the colors. I like the cool weather, too. I'll miss the longer daylight, but I won't miss the humidity and heat (which we seemed to be spared from this summer). Plus, autumn is the season for going back to school; Biblesta; and my wedding anniversary. We have two sons to costume for Halloween this year. I know Marian is looking forward to that. I guess I don't get too excited about football anymore, but I sure did when I was in high school and fall was the time of year for all those previously mentioned things, as well as high school dances and dove hunting.Anyway, you don't need me to tell you all the things that arrive with fall.

So, a report on what I did this weekend: Friday night, the four of us ate at Poncho's and I had to rub it in a little by sending Clarie a text message saying so. We rented a movie from the Redbox at Walgreen's: "Slumdog Millionaire". It's interesting. Takes place in Mumbai, India among this entire city of homeless people living among a landfill and cardboard shacks. The main character's parents are killed by Mumbai's residents who wish to banish the squatters from the temporary city. He somehow gets on "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" and he . . . well, you'll just have to watch to learn the outcome. Beware! It contains alot of subtitles.

Saturday, I got Jack around as quickly as possible and took him on the bicycle down to the park where they had the weekend long Power of the Past antique engine and tractor show. We couldn't possibly look at all the tractors and engines they had. Jack looked at tractors and played on the playground equipment. We returned to the house for a catfish lunch and to see Mare and Leo. For supper, all of us returned to the park and Mare and I had a hog roast dinner complete with homemade pie and homemade ice cream.

Sunday morning, again I got Jack around as quickly as possible and took him, you guessed it, to the park again for an outdoor church service. Then, playtime on the equipment with other kids. We watched an old, old thresher at work. Those old time belt driven machines sure look like they'd take an arm off without even thinking about it. Jack was a good boy, so he got sunday morning homemade ice cream.

In the afternoon we watched a little bit of the Chiefs game. Then Jack and I rode the bike to Wal-Mart with our trailer and picked up some necessities before returning home for a supper of homemade chicken pot pie. That Marian is sure getting to be a good cook!

So, that's it. There were lots of little details about the weekend I could go on and on about, but you all have lives you might want to get to, so I won't. It was a gorgeous weekend, and I didn't do one productive thing, aside from investing in my family with our most valuable resource: time.

I hope your week goes well, all of you. We're thinking of you.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful weekend!!! Your such a good dad!!! Yes I was very jealous of the Poncho's outing! Not fair hahaha Love to all

    ReplyDelete