Monday, August 23, 2010

It's me again. . .Margaret

No, I'm not Margaret. No, I'm not really addressing any of the followers of this blog who happen to share the name Margaret. I don't harbor any ill will against the name Margaret, nor am I secretly prejudiced for it either. Me writing "It's me again, Margaret" is what is referred to as an allusion. It should not be confused with an illusion, like what David Copperfield, Chris Angel, or any other magician practices. An allusion is a reference to a well known event, work of literature, song, or play found in literature, music, movies, or drama.
The allusion I alluded to was from a Ray Stevens (or is it Stephens?) song bearing the title, "It's me again, Margaret". In the song, a phone stalker calls a female target by the name Margaret and half whispers, half pants these words: "It's me again Margaret. Are you naked?" Back when the song was made the idea of a man doing this to a woman was considered playfully, innocently, harmless. Nowadays, this kind of behavior might earn the caller a restraining order. It would probably qualify as sexual harassment, and come with a conviction as a sex offender. But, when Ray Stevens (or is it Stephens?) sings about it, it's just funny.
Anyway, the entire reason I went on about Ray Stevens (or is it Stephens?) and his song "It's me again, Margaret", and the mini-lesson about allusions, and the veiled warning against making anonymous, heavy breathing phone calls, is to say that I've returned at nighttime, in the same day to add another post to this blog. Get it? It's me again . . .Margaret. It's an allusion to the Ray Stevens (or is it Stephens?) song.
The bad part of this whole thing is I've used up all the time I had allotted myself to write about my family by writing about allusions, Ray Stevens (or is it Stephens?), and unlawful phone use.

My family is good. Boys are fine. Marian is fine. I'm fine. I'll catch you on the flip-side

. . . See that's another allusion. Only this time it is referring to the antique (or is it vintage?) recording medium called vinyl records where the listener was forced to physically flip the record over in order to listen to the other side and . . . .

1 comment: