Monday, February 15, 2010

Cold weather, warm feelings

Valentine's day was yesterday, Sunday. I had the pleasure of spending it with my own valentine, Marian. Jack was up before dawn, so that meant I was up before dawn. We played a bit and picked up some of the house waiting for Mare and Leo. They were up in short order then we had a breakfast of pancakes. We opened our Valentines to each other. Mare had a Matchbox school bus for Jack, which he loved so much he slept with it last night. Leo got a nice new ball to play with that he likes to drop from his high chair and watch one of us three pick it up. Marian made me a sweet card and poem accompanied with chocolates. I had a treasure hunt for Marian to find her little assortment of treasures. It led her to the fridge, the doghouse outside, the front porch, the outside A/C unit, the bed of my pickup and back inside. She recovered a couple little silly charms, a valentine's notebook, a pot holder (we needed it), and a token for a free back rub from me.
My mom and dad had sent Leo and Jack their own valentines. They really liked having their own mail. Mom and dad also sent Mare and I one. My sister Clarie sent the family a valentine's card too with a gift card to sonic! My sister is perhaps the most thoughtful person I know. She's thinking of others before herself almost always. She's a great sister who's burdened with a lackluster brother.
Marian's mom and dad came down on Sunday to join us for lunch. Then, they stayed at the house with Leo and Jack while Mare and I went to a musical as a date for Valentine's day. You're a Good Man Charlie Brown was a cute little show. It featured a number of students I know from the high school. It was cold in the auditorium, so we wore our coats, gloves and hats the entire show.
I rode my bike to school today. I haven't missed a day riding since the beginning of January, when it was really icy. I went by the bank sign on the north end of town, it said 7:00, 18 degrees! But, it's only for about 15-20 minutes of riding, so it's not as bad as you might think. I bundle up pretty well for the ride. My ears are the only thing that suffers noticeably. I have not yet found a good article to wear on my head to keep it and my ears warm which will fit nicely under my helmet. I could choose not to wear my helmet, which I'm not scared of doing, except that I would miss using my rear view mirror, which is attached to the helmet. I rely so much on the rear view, it's difficult to go back to not using one.
Maybe the sun will come out today. That would at least brighten spirits even if it didn't warm up all that much.
I've been asked to fill in keeping score for the basketball games tonight, so I'll be here until after nine.
Well, I wish you all safe travels and health and prosperity in your lives. Know that I am thinking of you all and missing your company.

No comments:

Post a Comment