Monday, October 19, 2009

All the drama is over

After about seven weeks of rehearsals in the evenings and on the weekends, we finally had production nights for To Kill a Mockingbird, and a Sunday matinée. I came down with some pretty wicked congestion, sinus pressure and very sore throat on Sunday night. I stayed home from school and didn't attend rehearsal on Monday. Despite that, I think it was very successful. We received alot of positive feedback from those who voiced their opinions.All of our actors performed very well. Actually on Friday we skipped a significant portion of the court scene, inadvertently, near the close of Act one, but the audience didn't notice or mind.
The Wednesday previous, we had another day performance for our freshman students. They even liked it, so to me that's pretty credible. Because ninth graders don't like anything as geeky as a play.
We were pleasantly surprised to have sold out performances on Friday night and Saturday, and nearly three quarters capacity on Sunday. Friday night I had a whole slew of people I knew who took time out of their busy schedules to come be in the audience. Let's see, Mom and Dad, Grandma Bonnie, Aunt Becky (thanks for the pretty flowers Beck!), Jane and Joe Works and Jane's mother Maxine Wollen attended. Thank you all for the support. It was a big investment of their time as our play extended past four hours when arriving early is taken into account. That's alot of sitting in some not too comfortable chairs. Sunday, Marian and her father attended the matinée performance. Again, thanks.
It took many evenings of my time and I need to thank Marian, Jack, and Leo for allowing me to pursue something as selfish as the play. Marian had many, many days where she was the sole entertainment, guidance counselor, food provider, and many other roles for the boys. She deserves a standing ovation for her efforts. Many days I'd leave before they were up, and arrive after they were in bed. I know it put a strain on Marian to have sole responsibility for the boys all day long. Also, thanks to Jack and Leo who, bless their hearts, are so easy to forgive their dad for not being there to spend time with them in the evenings.
I'll finish with the comments on the play with this: acting is fun. It's a rush to go out on stage and let everyone scrutinize your every move and word while you embody another's spirit and character. The people who worked to make the production of To Kill a Mockingbird are some of the neatest, most supportive people I know who are very understanding and multi-talented. Working with and getting to know these people has been a blast. Some of them I knew from the previous summer's production of The Skin of our Teeth, but there was a whole new group that I came to know in addition to them for this play. Thanks to Harper Lee for writing the novel. It's a classic. You are rendering a great disservice to yourself if you haven't read her book. It's fun, and it's deep. Thanks to Steve Strickland, who played that dirtbag Bob Ewell, who picked some mighty fine guitar and sang some low down, trampy blues for us (and allowed me to join in) at the cast party Sunday night. I recommend getting out there and taking on a role in your community theater, it is good for your spirit. I'll try to get some pictures of it up here someday.

That Saturday I took Jack to Humboldt to spend the day with his Papa David on his birthday. Mom had traveled to Tulsa (as it turns out) with her gal group, so dad was on his own for his birthday. Jack and I arrived close to eleven. Dad and I played our guitars and Jack played along on the harmonica. Then, we took ride on the gold cart, despite the cool, wet weather. Then, we wrapped it up with trip to visit grandma Irene (g.g. for great-grandma Irene) where she fixed us a delicious lunch of scrambled eggs and mushrooms, with toast and coffee. That was a pretty nice day.

I have to say thanks to Clarie for all her wonderful support. She's like a good pair of underwear with all the support she provides. I know she's not through giving support either. I want to make you proud Clarie, and your advice does not fall on deaf ears.

I have to toot Marian's and my horn a little. Last week, during all the scrambling to put on a play, we celebrated our 8th year of marriage. We couldn't even do anything special. She got a nice message on post-it note from me. She tolerates alot from me. And she does a great deal of doing without for her family's sake. But, my goal is to change that and place myself in a position where I can be a better provider and give her the nice things a woman like her desires, and deserves. I'd be a bum without Marian. I love you, Marian.

We've completed the first quarter of school already. It's flying by. Believe it or not, I sort of look forward to this time of year when it's not just crackling cold yet, but nice and brisk and I can come in from the dark to a warmly lit, wholesome smelling kitchen. There I'll find my wife with her little ole' apron on cooking something up, and my two boys on the kitchen floor playing while she does so. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm richly blessed.

I pray overflowing prosperity and blessings on all my family, friends, and enemies, and myself. Try to value each day and suck the marrow out of it. I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Man I wish I could of seen that play, well I wish I could of seen you perform. Mom of course thought you did WONDERFUL!!! You're braver than I would be. I don't like people looking at me and critiqueing me. But I'm soo proud of you! I'm so glad you got to go spend time with dad on his birthday. I know he treasures that time with you. It's good for Jack to learn from his elders. If we take all the knowlege from grandpa Jim, which he passed on to dad, which dad takes and grows more in wisdom then passes on to you which you take and grow in more wisdom and just think how much Jack and Leo will know. Lucky boys! My calendar page from yesterday says "I know God is working in my life. I know my due season is on its way, and one day I'm going to see all that God has been doing behind the scenes on my behalf". Then go out each day, expectin good things, knowing that the Creator of the Universe is directing your steps. 2 Cor. 9:8 is a good verse too! Love you. Oh and thanks for comparing me to a pair of underware. At least they were a "good" pair. Not a holy, stained pair! LOL

    ReplyDelete